Sustainable Material Standards
Many international standards have been established that prove how much we should actually think about before choosing a material. At the same time, standards that make this work easier for us ensure that we use the material we want to buy safely.
In all of these standard and certification systems, it would not be wrong to say that your common goal is to provide clear and reliable information to the customer, and to encourage customers to buy more sensitive and conscious materials.
Standard and certification types that may be important in terms of sustainability are clicked on the boxes below , and you will find their short descriptions, relevant promotional videos and, if you wish, their details on the specified web pages:
Note: In the future, we will enrich this section with the standards that come to the fore and your suggestions.
EPD - Environmental Product Declarations
Inglizce definition Environmental Production Declaration (EPD) This international certification system which, in general, a material life cycle analysis (LCA (Life Cycle Assessment)) under the effect given to the environment controlled independently and tescillendiril that offers transparent and comparable reporting service. These studies are carried out in compliance with ISO 14025 on an international scale and EN 15804 for European construction materials. Currently, EPD continues its operations in 26 countries. And EPD products can be checked from the international EPD site.
Accordingly, the fact that a material is covered by the EPD does not mean that it is environmentally friendly. However, since it contains all kinds of environmental information from the production stage to the end use of this material, it is a customer-friendly and clear information document. In this context, raw material acquisition, energy use and efficiency about the material; material and chemical substance content; emissions to air, water and soil; It follows the ecological footprint and emission production with many parameters such as waste generation. In other words, it helps us to see the contents of EPD-containing materials, for example, as we look at the ingredients section on the back of the food we buy.
Therefore, materials with EPD provide detailed information about themselves to the customer. Based on this information, it can be checked whether the material meets sustainable standards much more quickly and can be requested accordingly.
Relevant Materials that can be documented: Building-building materials, machinery equipment, furniture, energy and more
* It is in the material category in the LEED v4 certification system and the use of this material is supported.
* The BREEAM 2011 system likewise recognizes EPD standards and independently approved EPD materials from any EPD program are important for BREEAM.
* Reliability indicator and easier product promotion for the manufacturer
* Click for more information about the International EPD . (The English)
* Click for more information about Turkey EPD .
Cradle to Cradle Product Program - Cradle to Cradle Certification
The Cradle to Cradle Certified ™ product standard evaluates the material handled in 5 different categories in the ongoing progress phase with material designers and manufacturers. These:
* material health
* material reutilization
* renewable energy and carbon management (Renewable energy and carbon management)
* water stewardship (water management)
* social fairness (social responsibility)
The material is evaluated separately in each category.
- Basic (Basic), Bronze , Silver (Silver), Gold (Gold), or Platinum (Platinum) rating. The total success of the material is represented by the lowest success it gets from individual evaluations.
Material evaluation is carried out by impartial competent organizations trained by Cradle to Cradle Product Innovation Institute. The evaluation summary reports are examined by the institute for compliance with the conditions and the materials that meet these conditions are entitled to use Cradle to Cradle Certified ™ license. In addition, every two years, the manufacturer can recertify if it can prove that it has improved its certified material in a better way.
In general, it can be stated that the aim is to reveal the sustainability map of the material. Accordingly, the answer to the question of how the material should be used after the end of its life is important. For this reason, the waste of a material that has been used up is intended to be the beginning / raw material of a new material.
At the same time, although a material cannot be considered exactly "'good", it can refer to the concepts of "bad" it is in, for example; It expects and encourages the production companies to reduce the factors such as components harmful to health and the environment, waste material production, very high water use, and to make continuous improvement.
* Click for more information about C2C (English)
* http://www.c2ccertified.org/impact-study (in English)
Related Materials that can be certificated: Building-building materials, cleaning products, furniture, insulation, flooring and more
* It is in the material category in the LEED v4 certification system and the use of this material is supported. Likewise, it is compatible with the BREEAM evaluation system and understanding.
* Provides reliability and respectability indicator and easier product promotion for the manufacturer.
* To contribute to the reuse of the material for another purpose or for the same purpose when the usage period of the produced material has expired.
* Material obtained with C2C certification helps ecological, economic and social development.
Related Materials that can be certified: All kinds of white and electronic goods, water heating systems, lighting, solar energy systems and more
* Indicates that the material or product is energy efficient and economical, thus reducing customer high bills and costs.
* Increases customer confidence as a result of independent tests.
* Increases product application, quality and safety values.
* Saves time and money.
* It is a standard recognized and supported by the LEED v4 certification system.
* Click for more information about ENERGY STAR . (The English)
* Click for more information about TÜV-SÜD .
The aim of this program is to help the customer economy through energy efficient materials and applications, to save money, to protect the environment, and to reduce and eliminate the greenhouse gas effect with climate change.
HPDs (Health Product Declerations) - Healthy Product Declarations
This declaration is a non-profit, customer-oriented organization, and they have undertaken to continuously improve the performance of the building sector. To achieve this, they want to create a transparent, open and innovative material production chain. The HPD team creates and supports material content and potentially unhealthy conditions in an open standard format for accurate reporting.
However, it does not address potential health values caused by life cycle analysis or by-materials used in product manufacturing, and issues that do not appear in the final product. For example, post-production residual by-material is not the primary concern of this declaration.
The main purpose of this declaration is to clearly define the content of the material and the harmful components that may directly affect human health in this content.
Relevant Materials that can be certified: All kinds of building / building manufacturing products
* It is a standard recognized and supported by the LEED v4 certification system, even without life cycle analysis.
* It helps the manufacturer to advertise and market in the green building area.
* The customer can easily reach the information on what kind of harmful ingredients and chemicals the material purchased.
* Click for more information about HPD . (The English)
* HPD Click for the information about Erke Tasarım published in Turkish .
FSC (Forest Stewardship Council) - Forest Stewardship Council
It is the organization that many international non-profit partner organizations came together and supported in 1993 to ensure responsible management of the world's forests. In this sense, the most important tool is its standard understanding, certification and registration as branded forest products.
Related Materials that can be documented: All kinds of woods, wooden structures, furniture elements and more
* It is a standard recognized and supported by the LEED v4 certification system.
* Thanks to the FSC certificate, to have the right to use the FSC brand and labels and in this way show that the products come from legal and well-managed sources.
* Indication that existing forest products are legal.
* An international recognition and prestige indicator.
* It is the transfer of forests to future generations in a healthy way.
Source : http://fsc.nedir.com/#ixzz3eq1HJIKf
* Click for more information about FSC . (The English)
* FSC For more information about in Turkish Click here .
To help manage forests around the world in a way that is environmentally friendly, brings social benefits and supports economic development.
BIFMA (Business Institutional Furniture Manufacturers Association) - Business Institute Furniture Manufacturers Association
BIFMA was established by non-profit, industrial and commercial furniture manufacturers in 1973 as a result of commercial alliances and has become the voice of the furniture manufacturer and its standards.
Under the sponsorship of BIFMA, it provides services such as the development of safety and performance standards, the creation and prediction of industrial statistics, the provision of regulatory requirements on material value and innovation, and negotiations with member organizations, and exchange of ideas.
BIFMA aims to provide a healthy, comfortable, sustainable and productive working environment in the sector in accordance with engineering and material standards. These standards cover the best possible information in terms of trust, ergonomics and sustainability, in accordance with technical knowledge developed and developed over the centuries by craftsmen.
Related Materials that can be documented: All kinds of furniture such as sofas, cabinets, chairs.
* It is a standard recognized and supported by the LEED v4 certification system.
* The social and environmental impacts caused by furniture types are evaluated in the most open and transparent manner.
* Sustainability issues such as energy use of a manufacturer company, activities for the benefit of society, material selection, human and environmental health are examined in a multi-dimensional manner.
* Before the products are delivered to the customer, they are subjected to many tests and their durability is tested. Therefore, the product is expected to have superior quality properties.
* Click for more information about BIFMA . (The English)
CRI (Carpet and Rug Institute) - Green Label Plus
In 1992, the carpet by the CRA, flooring used before the carpet placed over the layers (cushion) and testing of adhesives used in buildings, Volatile Organic Compounds (Volatile Organic Compounds- VOCs) are very low-emission products Green with the aim of helping to distinguish Label (Green Label) program was launched. At the same time, Green Label Plus programs started to investigate carpets, mattresses and adhesives with this program. Green Label Plus is a non-profit, voluntary program in which standards are developed by working with the industry, materials are tested by means of independent certified laboratories.
These developed programs ensure the creation of high level Indoor Air Quality ( IAQ ) environments in living spaces by offering the lowest emission products available in the market for customers. With its scientific-based standard applications, the Green Label Plus program symbolizes the determination of the carpet industry to live, work, learn and / or be treated in a better indoor environment.
Today, the issue of Indoor Air Quality has become a more important issue for living spaces, considering that we spend approximately 90% of our lives in buildings. A growing demand gap has emerged in the market in order to make indoor environments as healthy and environmentally friendly as possible. CRI makes this demand from materials that are always present in buildings; It aimed to minimize harmful emissions by handling and testing carpets, various adhesives and layers laid before carpet.
Relevant Materials that can be certificated: Carpet, surface covering under carpet (cushion), adhesive materials used in the building
* Guarantees customers the lowest emission carpet, adhesive and pre-carpet sheet materials laid on the floor.
* Designed for architects, engineers and building business managers who want to ensure that the most stringent criteria are met in low chemical emissions in pre-carpet sheet materials laid on carpet, adhesive and flooring.
* It contributes to obtaining the necessary points for this section in buildings where LEED and BREEAM green building certificates are monitored, as it raises the Indoor Air Quality standards.
* Click for Green Plus Program Official web page. (The English)
* Click for the Detailed Booklet on Green Plus Program. (The English)
* Green Plus Benefits Program Details for Click . (The English)
* Click to watch Youtube video about Sustainable Materials. (The English)
GreenGuard Certification (UL Environment)
The GreenGuard Certification is part of the Underwriters Laboratories (UL) community. (UL - Global is an independent science company and has been working on sustainable new breakthroughs, innovative security solutions for more than a century. Click for detailed information.) GreenGuard tests materials with internationally recognized and scientifically proven methods.
In general, GreenGuard ensures that materials and products used in the building have low chemical emissions, minimizes volatile organic compounds known as VOC (volatile organic compound) , and controls materials and products to improve indoor air quality. All certified products must meet standards including strict emission rules according to regulated chemical criteria.
It aims to create very crowded environments such as hospitals and schools in the building, and to create safer and higher quality indoor air environments.
GreenGuard was established in 2011 and intends to progress over time its mission by promoting global sustainability, environmental health and safety.
Ingredients can be Belgendiril: all kinds of gypsum used in interior spaces, plaster materials, furniture products, flooring, roofing systems, bathroom products, doors, ventilation systems, to examine the insulation and more see .
* Ensures that indoor air quality is healthy and reliable in terms of the materials used.
* Confirms that materials tested for more than 10000 chemicals have low emission and are at an acceptable level for human health.
* GreenGuard Certification is accepted by sustainable building programs and building codes known all over the world. (For example LEED and BREEAM )
* For detailed information about GreenGuard Certification http://greenguard.org/en/index.aspx , https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenguard_Environmental_Institute (in English)
* Click for BREEAM related page about GreenGuard. (The English)
* In the USGBC page Click for the relevant areas that can be used in the LEED certification of GreenGuard materials. (The English)
Green Seal Certification
Life cycle (Life Cycle) based sustainability standards, products, services and non-profit organization that develops for companies, a third-party certification system. Green Seal actively determines and promotes sustainability values in the market.
It also helps organizations from 1989 to this time to be more green in a real and effective way. For this purpose, it offers technical support in five different topics. These:
• Green Cities / Green Businesses
• Green Purchasing (Green Purchasing)
• Green Hospitality (Green services)
• Green Buildings Operation & Maintenance (Green Building Operations and Maintenance)
• Green Mail (Green Mail Service)
Green Seal products are recognized by ANSI (American National Standards Institute - USA Industrial Standards), ISO and the Global Ecolabelling Network. Although this certification system is mostly valid in the USA, it has an international application area. It can be used internationally, for example, by making mutual acceptance agreements with local environmental labeling programs.
The Green Seal mission provides science-based, measurable programs to support consumers, buyers and companies to create a more sustainable world.
Its vision is briefly Green Economy : Sustainable, renewable as possible, to give minimum impact to the environment. Thus, it is to protect our environment, all kinds of lifestyles and natural resources, and to honor social needs and values.
Related Materials That Can Be Documented: There is a wide range of approval areas from coffee filters to hotels. For example, sanitary paper, paints and coatings, laundry and cleaning products, as well as cleaning services, hotels and restaurants can be certified. You can review a full list of certified products and services
* It brings with it the symbol of international recognition and respectability in terms of showing that it has an environmentally friendly and sustainable understanding and is adopted.
* It is a standard recognized and supported by the LEED certification system.
* Green Seal image for a web page , see
* Green Seal For detailed information see .
* On the USGBC page, Green Seal is recognized by LEED for the selection of environmentally friendly cleaning products , see the relevant page.